Monday, June 2, 2008

Eleanor's Legacy

I am so very blessed to have long time friends in my life. Celebrating 50 years of friendship is so very amazing! One of those friends is Jane, with whom I shared Brownies and Girl Scouts, and grade school and high school. This winter, she asked me to make a quilt for their family compound at Big Cedar Lake WI. The home has been in the family for several generations and is a very special place for the whole clan. So off we went through the design process, fabric selection, and for me, a marathon of sewing... but I met the deadline and the quilt is now on its way to her in Milwaukee.

Based on the traditional square in a square, I did some of my usual wonkiness that created a diamond more than a square, and then by changing directions, gave the quilt some movement. Jane had chosen a delightful small scale red print as the focus, and by adding a variety of other harmonizing reds, the quilt came alive (click on image for a larger version and see all the fabrics). Machine quilted by a professional longarm quilter. It is named for the matriarch of the family, Eleanor, and for the legacy she left for her daughters and granddaughters.

No comments: